Munnar, the treasure of Western Ghats lies in the Idukki district of God's own country Kerala. Towering at 6000ft high Munnar is a acclaimed to be the paradise of nature lovers. Breath taking mountains, lush green plantations, mind-blowing hills and some of the mesmerising places you would ever find is what Munnar is made up of. People coming from every walk of life you would something interesting Munnar has in store for you!
Let's take a look at some of the stunning and must visit places in Munnar
Best places to visit in Munnar
• Best time to visit Anamudi: September - February
• Entery fees to Anamudi: Covered as part of fees to Eravikulam National Park (Adult - INR 90, Children - INR 65, Foreign Nationals - INR 370)
• Time to visit Anamudi Peak: 3-4 hours (Carry trekking equipment from RentMyTent Android App)
• Entry timings for Anamudi Peak: 8.00 AM - 4.30 PM
Echo Point, Munnar
• Time to visit Echo point: 1-2 hours
• Echo point entry timings: 6AM - 7.30PM
•Best time to visit Echo point: Throughout the year (Difficult in monsoon)
Top Station, Munnar
• Top Station entry timings: 6AM - 6PM
• Best time to visit Top Station: Throughout the year (The path would be slippery during monsoon)
• Time to visit Top Station: 1-2 hours
Meesapulimala/Kolukkumalai Trek, Munnar
• Best Time to visit Meesapulimala: September - March
• Trek time for Meesapulimala: 2 Days 1 Night (Overnight Camping)
• Meesapulimala trek difficulty: Moderate
• Meesapulimala Trek Equipment: Get them on rent from RentMyTent Android App.
Atukkad Waterfalls, Munnar
• Best Time to visit Atukkad waterfalls: July to September (Monsoon)
• Atukkad waterfalls entry timings: 10AM - 6PM
• Instruction: You will have to walk through a narrow wooden bridge to reach the cascade. Please be careful.
Pothamedu View Point, Munnar
• Best Time to visit Pothamedu View Point: May to December
• Pothamedu view point entry timings: No timings
Lock Heart Gap, Munnar
• Best Time to Visit Lock Heart Gap: Throughout the year (Better in Monsoon)
• Lock Heart Gap entry timings: 6AM - 6PM
Kundala Lake, Munnar
• Kundala lake entry fees: Pedal Boat (INR 100/ 3 people), Row Boat (INR 150/ 4 people), Shikara (INR 200/ 2 people), Video Camera (INR 200/ camera)
• Kundala lake instructions: Bathing is strictly not allowed
• Kundala lake entry timings: 9AM - 5PM
Eravikulam National Park, Munnar
• Best time to visit Eravikulam National Park: September to May
• Instructions: Visitors can take mini-bus rides provided by the forest authority. The Eravikulam national park remains closed during February and March as it is the mating season for Nilgiri Tahrs.
• Eravikulam national park entry fees: INR 65/Indians, INR 245/Foreigners
• Eravikulam national park entry timings: 8AM - 4.30PM
• Best time to visit Marayoor Dolmens: September to March
• Instructions: Carry a valid ID proof
• Marayoor Dolmens entry timings: 6AM - 6PM
Anamudi Peak, Munnar - Everest of South India
Anamudi (aka Anai Mudi) means "Elephant's Forehead" and it is also believed to be the home for largest living population of Asian Elephants of India. The Anamudi peak of Munnar is also one of the prides of Kerala. Anamudi peak reaches a height of 8842 ft above sea level making it the tallest peak excluding mighty Himalayas and well within the beautiful Eravikulam National Park limits. This only means your chances of witnessing some of the rich flora and fauna is just so high!
Anamudi peak of Munnar is one of the most sought after trekking destinations in South India. Anamudi has some more surprises in store for you, that is, the infamous Neela Kurinji flower can be witnessed here. The speciality of Neela Kurinji flower is that it blossoms only once in 12 years. Worth trekking the highest peak of south peak of South India with trekking equipment from RentMyTent Android App.
Echo Point, Munnar - The mystical beauty
This place is captivating in all sense, located 15km from the Munnar hill station. Echo Point baffles you with the natural phenomenon of echo formation which excites both kids and adults equally. As you shout out, you would be fascinated to feel the sound reverberating around you. Not just that, Echo point is the point of triangular confluence of three mountain ranges namely Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni, and Kundala.
Echo Point being located at an altitude of 600 ft. sits right on the lap of a lake and covered with misty hills gives you the visual treat like never before.
Top Station, Munnar - Panoramic views of Western Ghats
Top Station (located 32Km from Munnar) offers blissful views of the valleys of Munnar. Munnar weather can be experienced here in complete solitude. Top Station is on the border of Kerala and Tamil Nadu at the height of 1700m which takes you to whole new world. Top Station of Munnar was historically used for transporting tea through railways and hence it got its name. Due to this you can still find some traces ropeway lines.
If you're interested in knowing the life of tea pickers and expericence their culture, then Top station of Munnar is the right place to witness that. Adventure lovers can embark on trekking to reach top station through central village.
Meesapulimala, Munnar - Moustache Peak
Meesapulimala is the gift of Western Ghats to us. Meesapulimala of Munnar being the second highest peak in South India (at 8661 ft) is located 20Km from Munnar. Meesapulimala trekking trail is about 8Km long where you would passing through rhododendron patches starting from Rhodovalley.
Meesapulimala trek is one of the not to miss places of Munnar, you get to trek through some of the stunning hills to reach the peak. The peak is totally out of the world with its misty clouds covering the vast horizon of landscape and making you quite literally feel you are on cloud nine! Meesapulimala trek is an overnight camping one, it is advisable to take tents and necessary trek equipment for the journey. To get your tents for rent check out RentMyTent Android App.
Atukkad Waterfalls, Munnar - Romantic Escapade
Atukkad waterfalls (located 2km from Munnar) is one of the most picturesque falls of Munnar. Atukkad falls attracts people of all types like adventure seekers, nature lovers, shutterbugs, casual tourists. However, the terrain is little rugged and not very easy hence it advised to cautious. Nevertheless, the Atukkad falls in itself will you keep enchanted all throughout the journey.
Pothamedu View Point, Munnar - Hotspot of Munnar
Pothamedu View Point is located 3Km from the center of Munnar. Pothamedu view point offers the alluring views of the lush green hills spanning as wide as your eye can see. The views are spectacular with tea, coffee and cardamom plantations all around. To top it all Pothamedu view point offers one of the best sunrises and sunsets of Munnar. Don't forget to get your DSLR, these views are worth capturing through your lens. Renting DSLR is made easy now, check out RentMyTent Android App.
Lock Heart Gap, Munnar - The Fairy-tale land
Well the name has an interesting story here, from the lock heart view point you would be seeing two mountains coming together leaving a gap in the shape of heart. Lock heart gap is located 13km from Munnar, this place will show you the untouched beauty of Munnar valleys and especially during sunset you would be completely lost in its marvel.
Kundala Lake - Home of NeelaKurunji
Sitting cosily amidst the hills and mountains is situated at 20Km from Munnar. Kundala lake is at an elevation og 1700m with its water source coming from the Kundala arch dam making it a spectacular view to the eyes. Kundala lake of Munnar has fun filled activities like boating and sightseeing. Not to forget the beautiful NeelaKurunji flowers are at home in Kundala lake of Munnar, making it a classic beauty!
Eravikulam National Park, Munnar - Wildlife of Munnar
Eravikulam National Park of Munnar spreads across 97sq.km of land area and it is the home to one of the endangered species called Nilgiri Tahrs. Eravikulam National Park of Munnar is declared to be the UNESCO World Heritage Site, situated within 15km from Munnar.
Visitng Eravikulam Ntional Park serves two purposes, as you could pay a visit to the most beautiful Anamudi Peak aka highest peak in South India. When it comes to spotting animals, you would be able to see animals like Indian Muntijac, Golden Jackal, Tiger, Leopard, Nilgiri Langur, and many others.
Marayoor Dolmens, Munnar - Ancient side of Munnar
Marayoor Dolmens of Munnar takes you for a ride to different timeline. You get a flavour of stone age and the marvel of how life would have existed in those times. I know it's hard to believe but Mooriyar village is dotted with Dolmens going back to thousands of years. Each of the structure is gigantic and supports another massive stone of same magnitude. If you're history buff, this place is definitely yours!
How to Reach Munnar
How to reach Munnar from Bangalore
Bangalore to Munnar takes around 477 Kms and takes about 9 hours of driving. Travelling by raod is the most preferred way to reach Munnar from Banaglore. There are also frequent buses going from Bangalore to Munnar that would also be an alternative way.
Here are the distances from other common visited places
• Munnar – Mysore: 329km / 8hours
• Munnar – Ooty: 242km / 7hours
• Munnar – Chennai: 584km / 11hours
• Munnar – Ernakulam: 129km / 4.5hours
• Munnar – Thekkady: 94km / 4hours
• Munnar – Thiruvananthapuram: 285km / 9hours
• Munnar – Coimbatore: (172km / 6hours)
• Munnar – Madurai: (153km / 6hours)
Best Time to Visit Munnar
Munnar has one of the most beautiful climatic conditions in South India. For all monsoon lovers visiting Munnar between September - December is ideal to enjoy the lush green landscapes. However, you can enjoy the beauty of Munnar all throughout the year especially from January to May.
What is the best time to visit Munnar?
October - February is the best time to visit Munnar to enjoy the monsoon at its best.
Is 2 days enough for Munnar?
Yes, 2 days are recommended and sufficient to spend time at some of the best places and sightseeing spots in Munnar.
Is Munnar better or Ooty?
Munnar and Ooty both are hill stations and the comparison ends there. Ooty is more of a town with more accessibility and slightly more crowded, if you are looking for a conversation with just nature alone then Munnar should be the preferred choice.
Is there snowfall in Munnar?
Munnar is a hill station with temperatures going close to 10 degree celsius. However it doesn't snow in Munnar, hence you can enjoy the cold climate with a hot sipping tea.
What is the famous food of Munnar?
Munnar offers your typical Kerala Malabar style parotta and chicken curry along with delicious fish and meat. It's a huge plus if you are non-vegetarian.
How safe is Munnar?
Munnar is totally safe for both women and kids. The community is welcoming to the tourists and are very helpful as well.
Is Munnar good for honeymoon?
Munnar is the one of the best honeymoon places in South India. It has everything one asks for right from nature, solitude, climate, hotels and your destination is amazingly beautiful as well.