Mullayanagiri trek, the highest peak in Karnataka, reaching altitudes up to 6300ft, 3 to 4kms of an easy trek or an optional extended 2-day trek, the beautiful Western Ghats views and the Mullayanagiri Temple. Mullayanagiri Trek is one of the most visited and popular places in Karnataka. Mullayanagiri hills is located in Chandra Dhrona hill ranges of the Western Ghats.
source: Pabish Kumar
Mullayanagiri Peak - Most Important things to know
Mullayanagiri best time to visit: September till February
Mullayanagiri total trek distance: 3km
Mullayanagiri trek difficulty: Easy-moderate trek
Mullayanagiri Peak height: 6300ft
Mullayanagiri average trek time: 1.5-2 hours
Distance from Bangalore: 260km
Mullayanagiri trek timings: Everyday 6:00 AM till 6:00 PM
How to reach the Mullayanagiri peak?
How to reach Chikmagalur from Bangalore by Train: You should catch the only single train from Yeshvantpur to Chikmagalur which runs daily. The train departs at 3:15 PM from Yeshvantpur and reaches Chikmagalur at 10:00 PM, the train has only unreserved compartments.
How to reach Chikmagalur from Bangalore by Bus: You have a lot of KSRTC buses running to Chikmagalur daily starting from 5:30 PM up to 11:30 PM, there are also lot of private bus services between Chikmagalur and Bangalore
How to reach Mullayanagiri from Chikmagalur: You need to reach the Sarpadhari which is 22kms from Chikmagalur, you can take KSRTC buses which are headed to Bababudangiri to reach the Sarpadhari (Mullayanagiri foothills). You can also hire a private Jeep to and fro the peak of Mullayanagiri directly and will cost around 1800INR. Or you can drive your private car to reach the Mullayanagiri
How to reach Mullayanagiri from Bangalore by car/private vehicle: Follow this Google Maps it will take you to Mullayanagiri Peak from the Bangalore Majestic.
How to trek to Mullayanagiri peak?
The trek to Mullayanagiri peak starts from Sarpadhari(foothills of Mullayanagiri). This trek is short and is only 3kms but has some steep inclination up to 60degress at times. It is in the midst of lush green Chandra Dhrona hill ranges of Western Ghats. The beauty of this trek is the mist sweeping at times which will have a dramatic experience on nature, turning from vast lush green mountains to foggy unclear paths. The trek is also windy at times pack your trekking equipment properly. The Mullayanagiri trek offers some of the best views of the western ghats and Chikmagalur coffee estates during the ascent.
Once you reach the Shiva Temple there are two old and colorful caves narrowing like a serpent and can be a great place to sit, relax and enjoy the western ghats in peace.
How to descent from Mullayanagiri peak?
Start the descent from the rear end of the temple, support each other during descent at points of high declinations. During the Mullayanagiri trek descent, you will come across the Peace Tree it'll be a good idea to spend time to disconnect with society and reconnect with Nature. The calm pleasant whether, the misty winds, birds chirping, and the silence!
Continue your descent and you will reach the Sarpadhari back within no time!
Congratulations you have completed the Mullayanagiri trek!!
How to prepare for the Mullayanagiri peak trek?
The key to all successful treks is fitness and mindset. Mullayanagiri falls under the easy-moderate category. If you are able to walk for 10kms without much hassle and stop points, you should be able to finish easily. Additionally, you also need the best trekking gears, if you don't have good trekking shoes or Rain Jacket or Hiking Pole or any other Trekking Gears, No worries. You can rent them easily on RentMyTent
Mullayanagiri Hills Trek - Things to carry
- Camping Tent and Sleeping Bag - If planning to camp
- Rucksack along with Rain cover
- Trekking shoes
- Trekking Poles
- DSLR/GoPro camera (Obviously)
- Poncho (Important during monsoons)
- Tent (Highly useful for taking small breaks)
- Torch (must in case of emergency)
Find all of thess trekking gears bundled as one combo available for rent at RentMyTent Android App starting from 50 Rs/day! Worth checking out!
- Basic First Aid kit
- Identity Card
- Cap/ Scarf/ Bandana & Sunglasses
- Water (Minimum two litres) & Energy drinks (Glucon/Gatorade)
- High-calorie snacks (Nuts & dry fruits, home-baked cake, etc.)
- Quick Dry Full Sleeve T-shirts are preferable over cotton tees
- Plastic sheet to wrap electronic devices, only during monsoons
Other places to visit near Mullayanagiri
- Baba Budangiri
- Manikyadhara falls
- Deviramma Temple
- Kemmangundi Peak
Mullayanagiri Trek frequently asked questions
- What is Mullayanagiri trek starting point: Sarpadhari which is 20kms from Chikkamagalur
- How long is Mullayanagiri trek: The trek is only 3km long, but is has high inclination all the way to the peak
- How many steps are there in Mullayanagiri peak: There are around 450 steps to reach the temple
- How to reach Baba Budangiri: It is around 20kms from the Mullayanagiri foothill(Sarpadhari) you can take private car/jeep rent or KSRTC bus to Baba Budangiri
- How do I get from Chikmagalur to Mullayanagiri? Mullayanagiri is well connected by roads from Chikmagalur, you can take your private car or rent Jeep or take bus till the Mullayanagiri foothills
- Can we drive to Mullayanagiri?Yes, but the roads are too curvy and inclined due to heavy ghats section. If is recommended only if you are a really good driver, otherwise you can rent a Jeep from Chikmagalur