The word Kudremukh translates to horse's face in Kannada language. No guesses why, the name is derived from the structure of the peak which resembles the face of a horse. Kudremukh trek lies in the sweet spot of Western Ghats in Chikkamagaluru district. The reason why we said sweet spot is because, Kudremukh trekking is done amidst the dense forest of Kudremukh National Park which happens to be the second-largest wildlife protected area in the entire of Western Ghats.
Kudremukh Trek - Most Important Things to Know
- Best Time to visit Kudremukh - Post Monsoon (June - February)
- Trek Distance - 18-20kms approx.
- Trek difficulty - Moderate - Difficult
- Peak height - 6207 feet
- Average Trek time - 8hrs (Including Ascent & Descent)
- Distance from Bangalore - 310 Kms (One way)
- Kudremukh trek permission - Only 50 people per day
- Kudremukh trek timings - 6 PM the forest exit closes
- Trekking gears - Rent all your trekking gears from HERE! Hassle free online payment and home delivery!
Why to Visit Kudremukh?
Kudremukh is blessed in many ways, starting from the lush green meadows, misty valleys right till the richness of its flora and fauna. Don't be surprised if you come across deer, peacock and other wildlife animals while you're trekking. Being the 3rd highest peak in the entire of Karnataka, Kudremukh trek turns out to be a challenging one too. But be rest assured, that you would be completely arrested by the exotic beauty of the grasslands and the sound of water streams echoing all around the forest!
How to Reach Kudremukh?
How to reach Kudremukh from Bangalore by Bus - From Bangalore there are many buses going to Horanadu. You can book one via KSRTC Website . Overnight journey would be an ideal plan, hence you shall book a night bus to Horanadu. Your drop-off point would be Kalasa bus stand. From Kalasa you can board any bus to Kudremukh Trekking entrance point which is a 10 Kms journey.
- Bangalore to Kudremukh Bus Time - 10.30 PM - 6 AM
- Bus Ticket Cost - Rs 750 approx.
How to reach Kudremukh from Bangalore by Car/Private Vehicle - Follow this Google maps route
It would take you to the Kudremukh Trekking entrance point. This is also the parking spot for Kudremukh trekkers.
Find the below image for detailed Kudremukh travel plan
Coming by bus/car you need to board a Jeep from Kudremukh trekking entrance point as the road gets real ugly and jeep is the only saviour!. You would find a lot of jeeps waiting at this point to take you to the Kudremukh trek forest office. Jeep charges would be around 150-200 per person, we would suggest you to pre-book this via your homestay.
Recommended: Book homestay and inform the owners to arrange for a jeep. Usually they charge around 600 per person for jeep pick-up, drop, breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Kudremukh Trek homestay
You shall search on internet to find the best homestay that suit your needs, here are some of them (We're not affiliated with any of them :P)
Raje Gowda’s homestay: 9481179008
Sathis Mullodi house: 9481074530
Bella Homestay: 9480196796
For all homestays please use the link here
Find the below image to see why only jeeps are allowed to reach Kudremukh Trek Forest office.
How to reach Kudremukh Peak?
Kudremukh trekking starts from the forest office with the welcoming of somawathi waterfalls and pleasant sound of it craves you to head into the forest. Make sure you reach the Kudremukh trek forest office as early as possible to get your trekking pass.
- Note: Only 50 people get passes per day, make sure you are one among them.
The entire trek is divided into 4 stages. Read on, find what they are
Stage-1: Kudremkh trek forest office - (Lone Tree) Ontimara 1
This would be a quick cake walk, there's no much difficulty in reaching the first lone tree (Ontimara in Kannada). Nevertheless you will come across beautiful water streams which you need cross with your shoes getting wet. Recommended to rent trekking shoes from RentMyTent Android App
Trek distance: 1Km
Time: 25-30 Mins
Stage-2: Kudremukh Trek Ontimara -1 to Ontimara -2
From here on you would find gradual ascent and the sight of horse faced Kudremukh peak would be visible on and off. Make sure you capture the marvelling sight of it.
From Ontimara-1, the trail treats you with the sight of Kudremukh valley on your right and the sturdy mountain to your left.
Trek Distance: 4Km
Time: 1.5 - 2 hrs
Ontimara-2 is also the only place where you can take a break, pitch your tent. This is an amazing feeling trust me, the sight of rolling grasslands and the misty clouds playing hide and seek with the mighty mountains must be enjoyed at the luxury of a tent. If you're planning to get a tent, look no more. Just find all kinds of tent at RentMyTent Android App, order through the app and get them home delivered right before your trek.
Stage-3: Kudremukh trek Ontimara -2 to Final stretch
This is the challenging piece of the trek. Many people ask this question, "Is Kudremukh trek difficult?", the answer is, it's not an easy trek however it is only daring at few portions of the trek. What can you expect when you want to reach the ultimatum! I would say if you have decent stamina and appetite to trek peaks, this is definitely yours!
Your trekking pole and shoes would definitely come in handy! make sure you have your trekking pole and shoes always with you. Wondering where do you get trekking poles? Check out RentMyTent Android App
Trek distance: 3Kms
Time: 1 hr
Stage-4: Kudremkuh trek Final stretch - Kudremukh Peak
Ahh.. The much awaited glory!!! You certainly would feel proud of this feat. It's a ridge walk to the mountain top. If you're doing this trek during the monsoon times, be watchful of your steps, the track would be slightly slippery.
Trek distance: 300 m
Time: 30 mins
Be rest assured, you are in right in the heart of the Kudremukh valley it's the last leg to victory!!
Feel the taste of success! Now you are at the top of Kudremukh, to get the best sight just get a little down to the ledge and make sure you find a place to sit as it gets too windy.
Once you find the right spot, it's time to play the waiting game. Pick your DSLR camera and wait for the misty clouds to reveal the evergreen grasslands spanning all throughout the horizon. Thinking why to invest on DSLR for just a one-time trek. No worries, rent your DSLR from RentMyTent Android App, definitely an affordable deal when your splitting the cost with your travel buddies.
The 270-degree view of the Kudremukh is not something everyone gets to see, make sure you capture all those portraits and panoramic shots.
Kudremukh Complete Trek Guide
Congratulations! You're a fighter! This is a no common feat. Feel proud for yourself and bask in the delicious sight of the nature's purest form.
Find the complete trek route here - Google Maps Kudremukh Trek Route
Kudremukh Trek descent
It's as important as the ascent, the reason being, forest departments has a closing restriction of 6 PM. So use the same map for descent and make sure you start your Kudremukh peak descent by 2 PM and keep continuing to trek, it would be relatively easy to return. Be cautious of the steep/slippery slopes.
Kudremukh peak descent time - 3hrs
Kudremukh Trek - FAQs
- Best time to do Kudremukh Trek - Between June to February is the right to see the lush green mountains. Kudremukh weather is one of the pleasant things during this time.
- Kudremukh Trek permissions - It costs around 500 per person and only 50 people get it per day. Make sure you inform your homestay owner get these arranged.
- Kudremukh Trek distance: 18-20Kms for both ascent and descent of Kudremukh hills.
- Kudremukh Trek camping - Camping on the Kudremukh trek is not allowed, however you can take small tent breaks and return back by 6 PM. You can pitch your tent at the starting point too once you've returned.
- Kudremukh trek safety - This forest is home to many leeches and earthworms. Apply Dettol or Savlon before the start of the trek to avoid leeches.
Kudremukh Trek - Things to carry
- Trekking shoes
- Trekking Poles
- DSLR/GoPro camera (Optional)
- Poncho (Important during monsoons)
- Tent (Highly useful for taking small breaks)
- Torch (must in case of emergency)
Find all of thess trekking gears bundled as one combo available for rent at RentMyTent Android App starting from 50 Rs/day! Worth checking out!
- Basic First Aid kit
- Identity Card
- Cap/ Scarf/ Bandana & Sunglasses
- Water (Minimum two litres) & Energy drinks (Glucon/Gatorade)
- High-calorie snacks (Nuts & dry fruits, home-baked cake, etc.)
- Quick Dry Full Sleeve T-shirts are preferable over cotton tees
- Plastic sheet to wrap electronic devices, only during monsoons
Places to visit nearby Kudremukh Trek
There are many treks and waterfalls that are in the same region as Kudremukh. If you wish to cover more places and treks after Kudremukh, go through the list mentioned below:
- Horanadu Temple: It is famous for the temple situated on the banks of the river Bhadra in a corner of Chikkamagaluru district. This is 16 km from Kudremukh Entrance.
- Kadambi Falls: This fall is one of the major attractions for the tourist who wants to experience the greenery of the western ghats. This is close to the highway and 22 km from Kudremukh Entrance.
- Hanuman Gundi Falls: This fall is located in the Kudremukh National park and 22 km from Kudremukh Entrance.
- Lakya Dam Lake: This dam is built across the river Lakya, a tributary of the Bhadra river. This dam is inside the Kudremukh national park. The distance from Kudremukh Entrance is 13 km.
Disclaimer: All the photos used in the blog are inspired form the travel community merely for representational purpose.
Here's one last photo of Kudremukh Trek to leave you with some inspiration! Happy Trekking :)